Sunday, August 29, 2010

Red Riding Hood!

She's finished!








The only thing I have left to do is to glue the flower to her hand and the basket onto her arm; I don't want them to be removable. I am also going to sew the hood onto her clothes in the back because I don't want that removable either.

When I start making my dolls, I draw a picture first to get an idea of how I want her to look, with some directions regarding color:



As I create the different parts of the clothing and sew them together, I usually decide to make some changes if something doesn't look like how I thought it would. This was taken before I made the apron:


On the front of her dress I tried out a few different stitch patterns at the bottom for a little variety. I alternated the knit and purl stitches. I did that on the basket of goodies as well but since it is so small it is hardly noticeable.



The apron was fun to make and I liked putting the little pockets on.

At first I was going to use ribbons for her hair at the bottom of the braids but then I decided to just keep everything yarn, including the flower. I decided to make the flower blue to compliment her blue eyes. At first I was going to make a red rose, but I figured with all the red she was wearing it wouldn't stand out very well.


I decided not to make the wolf. At first I thought it might be fun to have the wolf off in the background of the picture, blurry but recognizable. But it came out fine without him. He wouldn't have been made using a coffee can, I would have just made him and stuffed him. But since she isn't really a toy, I decided not to make him.

3 comments:

  1. Gregory,
    She's really cute. Your choice of colors are complimentary, and I agree about sewing down the cape. Are you going to gather it a bit or tack it down at the back of the head so it looks like a hood? I hope you will consider making more fairy tale patterns and then putting them up for sale as .pdf files for the rest of us less gifted humans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both very much! I am definitely working on a few more ideas, and have been writing down the patterns for each. I hope to have them ready soon. The yarn may be a tad bulky to gather but I will test it and see.

    ReplyDelete