Friday, May 13, 2011

Novelties & Knitting Books!

This week I am working on a few baby items (booties, hat, blanket) to be given as gifts. As soon as I have a good amount of progress to show I’ll post it. I’m creating a design for the baby blanket and need to knit several rows to see if it comes out like I want.



Also, now that the weather is getting warmer, I invite you to browse the Loom Dude Novelty Shop at http://www.zazzle.com/LoomDude . There you’ll find playful t-shirts, bumper stickers, and other knit (oops, I mean neat) things. Here are a few designs you will see on some of the items:












Hope you’ll take a look and buy a little something special!


Have any of you read Kate Jacob’s Friday Night Knitting Club series? I just finished listening to book 3 – Knit the Season. I found the series to be pretty interesting, though I’ve never belonged to a knitting group yet. I was disappointed by something that happened at the end of the first book (I won’t spoil it for you); I figured it would happen but not to the person it happened to, and wasn’t sure how the sequel would develop as a result. But overall it was pretty good. What made the story engaging to me was that it wasn’t what I had expected it to be.


As the voice actress acted out the story on the cds, I could picture in my mind’s eye what each character looked like (and who I thought in Hollywood should play them): Ellen Burstyn as Anita, Sandra Oh as Darwin, LL Cool J (or Mos Def) as James Foster, Keke Palmer as Dakota, Kimberly Elise as Peri, Reese Witherspoon as Katherine, and rumor has it if the movie version ever gets made, Julia Roberts is cast as Georgia. Never mind that some of them are older than their parts. I really hadn’t pictured anyone for Lucie or KC. How about you? Maybe when the movie comes out, we’ll all go to the movies with our knitting supplies and knit while we watch! : ) I can’t wait to see what the Phoenix and Blossom look like! (If you don't know what those are, you'll have to read the book to find out!)


I also read (listened to) the Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. The story would always stop as each character explained about the life experiences that made them the person they were, as opposed to Kate Jacobs’ series where the author does some of that explanation (rather than have the character explain). I have to admit I was more than a little surprised by the amount of profanity in all of the books I read.


Next week I am starting Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. I know Blossom Street is a whole series, but my library doesn't have all of the titles on cd, and listening on cd is the best way for me to "read" the books right now.


Who knows? Maybe one day I’ll write a knitting novel too! You can guarantee it will be full of drama, but from a different perspective!

2 comments:

  1. Love all kinds of knitting stories: Friday Night Knitting Club was the best! The other two stories were OK. Have read all the "Blossom Street" books and several of the Maggie Sefton mysteries (sort of the "harlequin romance" of knitting books). Enjoyed "Spinning Forward" -- a middle-aged woman starts over in a coastal town with a unique spinning business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is noticeably a bundle to understand about this. I suppose you have made certain nice points in functions also. https://businessbooks.cc/banks-that-let-you-overdraft-right-away/

    ReplyDelete